Summertime is a favorite season for many. The sunny days and cool nights are perfect for bbq’s and relaxing poolside with friends and family. For homeowners, summer is also a wonderful time to complete home projects due to optimal weather conditions. This year, summer may look a little different due to cancelled vacations and more time spent at home. But, on the bright side, there’s plenty of time for home projects you may have been putting off! Whether your home is in need of small upgrades or larger home improvement projects, here are some ideas to get you started.
• Go ahead, power-wash ALL the things - A hot, summer day is a perfect day for power-washing your home’s exterior walls, patios, fences, sidewalks and anything else you can find that needs a good cleaning. A power-washer can quickly remove dirt, mold, algae and mildew - all of which are unsightly and can result in long-term wear and tear on your home’s surfaces. You can typically rent a power-washer from your local home improvement store for a small daily fee.
• Clean, seal and stain - Do you have a wooden fence or deck that needs some attention? Homeowners often put off these tasks, thinking they will be time-consuming or difficult, but doing so can cause additional and costly damage. According to Costhelper, having a handyman or deck company clean and seal a deck can cost $1-$5 or more a square foot, but averages around $2-$3.50 per square foot. If you’d rather DIY, cleaning and sealing a deck is a relatively easy, low-cost project that can be completed in a weekend.
• Give your landscaping some love - A joint study by the University of Alabama and the University of Texas at Arlington found that “homes with high curb appeal tend to sell for an average of 7% more than similar houses with an uninviting exterior”. Wow! Even if you’re not planning to sell your home, adding new mulch will instantly add curb appeal while providing valuable benefits to your plants during the summer months. While you’re at it, plant some perennial plants in your garden that will grow back year after year.
• Paint, paint, paint! - Paint is an inexpensive and DIY-friendly home upgrade. Try painting your front door a fun color - it’s a relatively quick project that will boost your home’s curb appeal and make you smile. You can also use spray paint to rejuvenate outdoor patio furniture. Check out Pinterest for some inspiration and then go for it! Remember, it’s just paint and you can always paint something a different color.
• Take progress pics - In the moment, home projects can feel like quite a bit of… work. That’s to be expected when you’re adding sweat equity to your home. Want some extra motivation? Take before and after photos. It’s fun to look back and say, “Remember when our house looked like this?” Plus, you’ll get that proud homeowner feeling when you see the improvements you’ve made!
With summer temperatures heating up, we’re seeing the summer housing market heat up, as well. Are you interested in buying a new home or refinancing? Give us a call at 508-986-6100, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to speak with one of our expert, local loan officers today. To apply for a mortgage, click here.